Friday, April 27, 2007

Last Catch

So here's the last entry, filled with well-deserved praise for Linda's syllabus and class discussions. Well done, everyone. I have said it in class, but maybe not assertively enough, I absolutely loved the blog aspect of this course.

We had obligatory webct postings in other classes, but somehow those were onerous, and this was delightful. I loved how reading all the posts before the next class would sort of organize our discussions;let us all get a jump-start on what we wanted to discuss. Three hours once a week isn't much, this really stretched it out, kept the class alive through the week.

Like all good classes, I have become infused with new insights and information that have changed me. I'll become a different librarian-- a better one -- I think because of the way my outlook has been tweaked by this course content. I think the elegant thing about this class was how one simple idea, one so obvious that I think it would have been overlooked for ages without this class changed my attitude about library books for young people. We all know what it is:
Just ask. Ask kids what it is they want to read. Then give it to them. Ta Da!

There are many details and codicils to this simple revelation, but ultimately, that's how good library service starts everytime: asking, then listening.

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad we still have a few classes left.

1 comment:

Linda Braun said...

As I said the first day of class - my goal is to get people to understand the importance of teens in libraries and a big part of that is to "force" people to talk to teens. I hope that after this class everyone sees the importance of talking to teens and has less fear about doing that.

Thanks for the positive feedback.